Professional Learning Collaboratives
Day 1 ~Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Welcome to the first PLC Day for the 2012-2013 school year. We are very excited about the opportunities that are before us as we build a collaborative culture and work with colleagues as connected learners.
The registration for Day 1 will be online and you have five session choices to choose from. Select the session you are most interested in and each session will be limited to 25 participants. Remember, that several of the sessions offered on Day 1 will be repeated again at one of the other PLC days.
Session choices for Wednesday, September 19:
- Interactive Notebooking – Do you need to know how to use a writer’s notebook or a reader’s notebook (regardless of the subject and/or grade level you teach) in the classroom with your lessons? Would you like great activities for teaching vocabulary? Interactive notebooks are research-based tools, allowing differentiation based on student needs, interests, and traits. Students use them to analyze and synthesize information, creating notes, responses, and graphics. You will leave with several notebook activities that will engage your students in the learning process. (HS PLATO Lab)
- Harnessing the power of Google and WONECKS blogs – How can we use the Google Apps system and blogs with our students? What about with PBL? Collaboration? Publishing? Creating artifacts for eportfolios? Let’s share ideas with each other and learn new ways to use the tools we have at our disposal regardless of grade level. (Rm 122, Middle School)
- The Four Big Questions – How do we move forward in this rigorous world and meet all the needs of our students? How do you plan for students that are struggling, while planning for those that excel academically? How can we build on what students learned last year, while preparing them for the next year? How do we know that we are assessing our students to the level they need to be assessed? Come join us as we walk through the 4 BIG questions that can drive your team planning while answering all of the questions that are running through your head. If attending please make sure to bring a copy of your TEKS. (Rm223, Science Lab, Intermediate)
- Symbaloo – Your APPy Place –These Symbaloo EDU PD Certified presenters will give you a hands-on experience and show you how to make Symbaloo: Your APPy Place. Participants will learn how Symbaloo EDU can fuse together webmixes to be used for student differentiation, building e-portfolios, creating digital library collections, embedding multimedia including Google docs, Glogster, Animoto, and much, much more. Have all of your most visited sites one click away right on your homescreen. You will leave AMAZED!
- Laptop (not iPad) needed to create your own Symbaloo. (Rm. 214, Computer Lab, Intermediate)
- Bard’s Take on the PBL Tale…Burn Bright, NOT Out! – Details, details coupled with intuitive, experienced based lesson methodology to get edge of seat enthusiasm, target lifelong learning and nail the essential elements of learning, and life all while having fun. The product is the student, not the stat. (MS Library)
Registration opens on Monday morning, September 10th and closes the next Monday, September 17th at noon. Sessions are limited to 25 participants each. If you fail to register during this window, you will be assigned a spot in an available session.
Register at this link (must be logged into your school mail account to access this): https://docs.google.com/a/woisd.net/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGZIYkZhYjBIZ1lNb1hjZkJuQzNLNFE6MQ